CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Memoirs of a Geisha - 07/08/2007

I never had any intention of reading Arthur Golden's book, "Memoirs of a Geisha." The idea of it in my mind was dullness, ritual, ancient yada yada, and it did not strike me as anything I would want to read. Yes, color me ethnocentric.
David rented the movie, or was it me? I can't remember. I just remember thinking the movie was a beautiful piece of work. I was moved by Chiyo's story and Sayuri's final conquest of her dream. A few days later, unbeknown to me, my best friend mailed me her copy of the book.


Normally, I will read the book before I watch the movie. I don't want the director/producer's views to cloud up the images in my mind for me, but in this case, I had no choice.

I find it incredible that this work came not from a Japanese woman, but from an American man. And let me tell you, I am glad he did. It was a terrific read. The movie really did do a good job. Some scenes were cut, for time, some characters changed around (again for time) but all in all, the movie stuck closely to the book. The book gave you more back story and end story, which I was grateful for. I cringed every time Hatsumomo was around. I could barely read the part with Sayuri and the Baron, as I had seen the movie and knew what was coming. I hesitated, aren't I silly? I plowed through that part like someone desperate to save a friend, but I made it. I was saddened by the devastation Pumpkin's betrayal caused Sayuri, but really, it was Pumpkin's betrayal that brought about Sayuri's happy ending. I was seeing the life of a Geisha in a new light; not a prostitute as many Westerner's think, but as an artist. They are like slave's to their art, but once they know this life, it is what they want for themselves. A beautiful, harsh existence of fine detail. Arthur Golden's prose is...soothing to the mind; does that make sense? I felt lulled by the beauty (not in a"boring" way, either). I enjoyed the ritual, the ancient, the yada yada and my mind is still entranced by it.

0 comments from wacky fun peeps!: