CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Some Assembly Required - 07/05/2006

Mom, I am sorry. I really am. But I have to Blog this. It's a matter of civic duty (and also, you don't have a computer, I am evil, and will be punished).


So...mom calls and asks for some help for her husband Jose. Seems that my mom's husband Jose received a mailing at his daughter's house. He's a FINALIST in a SWEEPSTAKES. The drawing will be soon! In the meantime, in between time, he's been awarded a voucher for $400 off a $698 laptop. He mails the $298 check and receives a post card stating that the merchandise would be mailed in 14 days. Well, it's been over a month and they have not seen anything. *bells ringing* *scam* *scam* She gives me the account number, the phone number and the name of the company: Sweepstakes Clearinghouse. *dingdingding* I asked mom if she was serious. I said that this sounded like a scam. She asked what that word meant in Spanish. I explained it to her, and told her I would call her back.


The phone number with a Dallas exchange put me through to the computer, that politely mentioned the merchandise was mailed May 9th...almost 2 months ago. When I tried to connect to customer service, I was told to call back during business hours. What business hours, you ask? I don't know - I got hung up on after that message.


I decided to Google Sweepstakes Clearinghouse. Go on, get ye to Google. Find the many, many web sites about the complaints filed my various people and ..oh yes, the entire state of Iowa. When an entire state files a lawsuit, you know something's fishy.


I called mom back & told her the bad news. I told her I would follow up during "business hours" and see what they said, but to be aware that they are possibly out of $300. Well, not they. He. It's all his money, she gets a $20 weekly allowance, but I'm not bitter.


There are complaints about sending $44 for a tv, and getting one with a 5" monitor! Five Inches! Others tried getting a stereo or computer, and ended up paying extra c.o.d. charges up to $50. The computer is so old & so bad, it is not even funny. This website below shows a copy of the flyer for the computer....a dinosaur with 128 MB of memory. Woo.
Click Here for one such website - scroll down a bit when you get to the page.
I know older people get scammed and it disgusts me. My mom's husband, though, knows better. He should know better. It just blows my mind. You can't get something for nothing. Buyer, PLEASE beware. Some Assembly Required...mainly to your checking account.

0 comments from wacky fun peeps!: