CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Spiral - 03/11/2007

Our washing machine won't "final spin." It won't spiral. We've had it about a year. We bought it used, from a local mom & pop joint in the city we used to live in. Now before you complain, "why did you buy it used," let me explain. Back when I was first separated and living with my son, we moved into an apartment. I barely had 2 nickles to rub together. If, after getting paid and paying all my bills, I had $50 for two weeks, I was ecstatic. The first year in the apartment, we did our laundry at the laundromat. What an experience. I would pile the car up with a week or so's worth of our clothes, load myself and my son in the tiny car and go do laundry. I'd try not to go early; it was always packed. Then, we'd just....sit there waiting. We'd start to see the same people over & over. When the workers nod to you as you walk in, you know you've been there a while. I'm not going to expound on the people there, nor will I denigrate or degrade anyone for going there; I had to. I am no better than anyone else.


Then, my company gave us all surprise bonuses. Out of the blue. A co-worker had bought his appliances at this local mom & pop place and recommended it to me. It was a bonus, but a small one and I did not want to spend it all on appliances. I went there, and purchased a washer & dryer for $300.


This washer & dryer lasted through 1 year at my apartment and 5 years at my home. Six years, two appliances, $150 a piece. I was happy with that investment. So when the washer needed $175 worth of work, I figured I could probably buy a newer used model, which is what we did. Washer AND dryer - $500.


It is over a year, and we moved to a new city. The final spin won't spin. I am not overloading it; I even tried running the final spin empty, with two items, with 5 items. Nothing. The mom & pop company won't come out to our new city, 22-25 miles away. We bribed with $$. No go. Now we have to decide whether we get a service call from some G.E. Authorized company, or just buy another one. I am going to see what a service call will cost first. It's pretty much the labor charge I am concerned with.

It's killing me not to do laundry.

"Spiral", Buffy Season 5, episode 20

0 comments from wacky fun peeps!: