CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Safe - 10/28/2006

My grandparents should have just arrived in Puerto Rico. I booked them a flight for Saturday morning, 8:30 a.m. This meant getting up at 4:30 a.m. They were already up & dressed. I went down in my pj's & started coffee for all of us. I also packed them lunch, consisting of a sandwich each, two fruit cups, some Chex Mix, sugar-free cookies for grandma and regular cookies for grandpa, some spoons and napkins. Grandpa helped grandma down the stairs. I gave them some coffee, and a bowl of cereal each, with some cut-up bananas in it. Jake made himself some oatmeal. Jake came with me to the airport to help. Grandma secretly hands Jake what I think is $20.00 I hear him say "No grandma, it's too much." She shushes him and shoos him away. I later find out it was not $20, it was $40! Then Grandpa slips him a $10. Anyone needing a loan, please see Jake.

I brought the luggage down and loaded the car. David came out to say goodbye to us in the garage. David, who worked late, was staying home with Isabel. We left early, so I drove without any rush or stress. We got to the passenger unloading zone. I searched (and searched) and found a wheelchair. We placed grandma in it. I asked Jake to stand in line at the outside check-in, with grandpa, while I went to the short-term parking lot. I parked and got back to them by the time they called them up.

Tickets in hand, I was about to go in when the Skycap guy yells to me in Spanish to make sure I get a wheelchair pass inside. No clue what that was, but now we had to wait at the INSIDE line. It actually went by fast. I'm thinking they are going to give me...a pass to allow her to be in the wheelchair? No clue. The Delta agent asks me for ID. I hand them my grandparents' id's. She said no, she needed mine. I was confused. She said the pass was for me to be able to go with them all the way to the plane. How cool was that? With all the regulations and restrictions, I thought for sure I would have to drop them off at security and then just watch as my grandpa struggled with a wheelchair, and a large duffel bag. We went through a special security gate for wheelchairs. They scanned the lunch I prepared and had to take out the fruit cups. The fruit cups. They had liquid in them. *sigh* They also took away the toothpaste tube because it was too large. I told grandpa to put all the liquids in the checked in luggage, but forgot to mention the toothpaste.


The 4 of us get in, Jake carrying the duffel bag and I pushing the wheelchair. Quick stop at Starbucks for me and Nathans for Jake (french fries at 7:10 a.m.). We waited right at the gate with them for about an hour. I went to get the grandparents some coffee. They are very picky coffee drinkers. They don't like American. I bought a grande cappuccino (coffee & steamed milk), and a side shot of espresso. I poured the espresso into the cappuccino, added artificial sweetener, and divided it into two cups. "Great Coffee, Kaaren" was their reply.


When they called the flight, we went straight to the front of the line and they immediately started taking grandma down. I had to jump to grab a goodbye kiss from both before they were taken to their seats.


I think about families that have elderly people living with them. I know a couple who have taken care of or still do take care of an elderly relative. Then I read of people with young kids like me, also taking care of their elderly parents or grandparents. My hats off to you. Kudos. Really. From the bottom of my heart, know that I have the deepest respect and admiration for what you do, each & every day.

0 comments from wacky fun peeps!: