CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 29, 2007

There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell - 11/29/2007



I put a hold on this book and got a call from our local (insert banjo music here) library that it was there. I go to pick it up....and it's a book on cd. Ooops. I did not realize I held the wrong one.

This was my first foray into audio books, can you believe it? Me, book psycho nut has never put a book in her cd player. WHY NOT?? A 35-40 minute drive to work whizzes by with a book to listen to (although I do miss my Mix Morning Update Time.)

BE BACK SOON. MY DAUGHTER WANTS TO PLAY CATCH AND HAS ASKED ME LIKE 10,000 TIMES IN A ROW.

I'm back. A day later.

This is Laurie's first novel. Her other books were compilations of her newspaper articles based on her life. This book SCREAMS Laurie Notaro. The main character and husband are basically her and her real husband, with a little bit of changes. It's fine. She's funny and congratulations to her on her first fiction foray.

Mae Roberts moves to a small town in Washington state where her husband has gotten an assistant professor's position at a local college. To say the town is quirky is an understatement. To say that Meg has bad luck is A REAL understatement. She tries SO hard to make friends, and fails miserably. Several times, I said "Oh PLEASE." at the things she did and the things that happened to her.

If you've never read Laurie Notaro's work, you may think her writing style is odd, sarcastic and sometimes trying too hard to be funny. She grows on you. The story is NOT a great work of literature by any means. It's cute, sometimes cringe-worthy, and sometimes laugh-aloud fun.

Hey, does this count as a book I've read, if I didn't read it?

0 comments from wacky fun peeps!: